Thursday, April 23, 2009

No-Bake Raspberry Truffle Tart

We all know and love her. That pessimistic woman inside all of us. I thought she had gone into hibernation with the arrival of Spring, but I was sadly mistaken...

Debbie Downer reared her ugly head with full force today.

What brought on this bout of double D action? Spiders. Or, to be more exact, one voluptuous spider.

There I was, minding my own business at the good old nine-to-five ready to embark on some serious filing action. I opened a cupboard to grab a folder and BAM. Spider. Two inches from my hand. Fat. Short legs, round body. Scurrying toward me.

I immediately crushed him.

A major freak-out session followed. One of those times when your entire body feels like it's covered in spiders. For as long as I can remember, I've had this paranoia that when I kill a spider, his little spider "brothers" are waiting in dark corners to avenge his death. I just imagine them coming after me while I'm sleeping...

This is why I hate Spring. Forget the onset of beautiful flowers and warm weather. Forget the sunshine and chirping birds. Spring means spider season. I had almost managed to forget they existed, but they're back.

Alright. Enough Debbie Downer for one day.

A few weeks ago, I made these No-Bake Raspberry Truffle Tarts as part of The Mixing Bowl Easter Dessert Contest. I kind of just threw a bunch of elements I enjoy together and I think they turned out pretty cute and delicious!



Ingredients:

Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 c fine graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c melted butter

Dark Chocolate Truffles:
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
8 oz chopped bittersweet (70%) chocolate
1 t vanilla extract

Raspberry Cheesecake:
1 c marscapone cheese
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
2 T honey
Juice of 1 lime
3 c mashed fresh raspberries

Directions:

1. Mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.

2. Spray the cups of a 12 muffin/cupcake tin with vegetable or canola oil until well greased.

3. Line each cup with a strip of wax paper so that it hangs over the sides of each cup. This helps with removal of the tarts before serving.

4. Press the butter/graham cracker mixture into each cup using the back of a small spoon. Make sure the crust evenly covers the bottom and sides of each cup. Place pan in the fridge to set while preparing the truffle mixture.

5. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy whipping cream to barely a simmer.

6. Pour the heated cream over the chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and let it sit for about 5 minutes to melt the chocolate.

7. Once the chocolate is melted, add the vanilla and whisk the mixture until it appears smooth and shiny. Remove the graham cracker crusts from the fridge and spoon about 1 tablespoon of the truffle mixture into each cup (or put enough truffle mixture in each cup so that it is half full). Place the pan back into the fridge to set while putting together the raspberry cheesecake mixture.

8. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until it holds soft peaks.

9. Add the marscapone and mix until smooth. Then fold in the honey, lime, and raspberries.

10. Remove the graham cracker crusts with truffles from the fridge and spoon about 1 tablespoon of the raspberry cheesecake mixture into each cup (or until each crust is filled).

11. Place the pan back in the fridge and allow the tarts to set for about two hours.



Enjoy! :)

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio